London, United Kingdom
This blog has been set up to serve as my application to the HarperCollins Graduate scheme. Feel free to make comments on some of the questions I've been asked to answer and I can kick myself that I didn't think of that before the deadline closed.

An example of a well published book and a poorly published one

The Eyewitness Travel Guides are books I consider to be well published. They have a distinct style and layout that uses pictures and text in equal balance. They are a good example of a popular series embarked upon by the publishers that have turned into a successful and reliable brand. It is also now possible to download (ten) of the travel guides to your mobile phone or hand-held device

To mention a second, more briefly if I may, Dan Brown’s The Da Vinci Code is an example of where the publisher has taken advantage, intentionally or not, of a conspiratorial post 9/11 clash of civilisations world (2003) and published a book that fed into the frenzy of religion, dark forces and heroes to become a big commercial success.

A book that has been very poorly published is Dostoevsky's Notes from Underground by Penguin Reds (2006). Essentially the book has been misrepresented for the sake of marketing. I understand this may have been done to attract new readers but the synopsis seems a little too patronising and the cover too contrived.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.

The future of HC