London, United Kingdom
This blog has been set up to serve as my application to the HarperCollins Graduate scheme. Feel free to make comments on some of the questions I've been asked to answer and I can kick myself that I didn't think of that before the deadline closed.

I am the avatar: a morning in the life of

3:49 am:- Get woken by a call from Jim Brezinski, the Avatar who runs Second Life Motors, to tell me it’ll cost $4000 Linden to flush the fuel lines on my beloved ‘69 Charger. I curse the cyber punks who poured sugar into the petrol tank.

I ask how he got my ‘First’ Life phone number. He says he was forced into buying a database of all his customer’s details from the Second Life Mafia….

……..I never imagined his voice to be so high pitched.

4 am-ish: - Now that I’m awake I attend to business and start to migrate the content of my novel, Trimalchio in West Egg, into XML. Should have written the novel this way in the first place but pen and paper is still my preferred method. I tag the relevant sections for the digital platforms it will be published in – which reminds me that Honda still owe me my share of the advertising revenue from a short story I published in NTT DoCoMo’s short story series last month.


8:15 am: Get my daily text message from TfL kindly telling me there has been a signal failure at Kings Cross and so there are major delays on the Circle Line, Met Line, Hammersmith and City Line, Northern Line and Victoria Line but all other lines are experiencing a good service!

Relieved today is not an office day.


10 am: Have put the finishing touches to the content migration and sent it off to my publishers in Sydney. By this afternoon people will be able to buy it from a POD kiosk in their local Tesco (or their local equivalent) or download the interactive version from various websites.


10:12 am Take a well deserved coffee break and dive into the deep web to look for new ideas.

No comments:

The future of HC